Trend at Karachi stock market during the past week was range bound. The positive sentiments of the traders followed by the budget announcement were seemed to be descended after the news of Altaf Hussein detention at UK. The news brought a severe drought in law and order situation in Karachi city. Investors put their hands back from the trading activity in the way they were doing. Consequently, the KSE-100 index lost 228 points and 0.8 percent and closed on 29,509 points. The Karachi Stock Exchange all share index however increased by 0.51 percent in comparison to the previous week and closed on 21,825.14 points after gaining 110.64 points. KSE-30 index ascended by 0.31 per cent and closed on 20,219.78 after gaining 62.23 points.
On week on week basis, Karachi Stock Exchange 100 index observed a downward trend by 0.8 per cent whereas week on week volumes increased by 11 percent. This calls up for augmented volatility in traders’ sentiments and then trading activity too that overall trend is downward but volumes are seemed to rise significantly. Market capitalization at KSE closed on Rs. 6.99 trillion on Friday last week.
|Top Gainers||Top Losers||Volume Leaders|
|Rafhan Maize Products Ltd||Bata Pakistan Ltd||Lafarge Pakistan Cement Ltd|
|Fazal Textile Mills Ltd||Indus Dyeing & Manufacturing||Fauji Cement Co Ltd|
|Nestle Pakistan||Bhanero Textile Mills Ltd||K-Electric Limited|
|Wyeth Pakistan Ltd||Siemens (Pakistan) Engineering Co Ltd||Maple Leaf Cement Factory Ltd|
|Island Textile Mills Ltd||Khyber Tobacco Co Ltd||The Bank of Punjab Ltd|
|Millat Tractors Ltd||Service Industries Ltd||BYCO Petroleum|
|Shell Pakistan Ltd||Philip Morris (Pakistan) Limited||Pakistan Telecommunication Ltd|
|Al-Ghazi Tractors Ltd||Sanofi-Aventis Ltd||Engro Corporation Limited|
|Jubilee Life Insurance Co Ltd.||Pakistan Tobacco Co Ltd||JS bank Ltd|
|Pakistan Services Ltd||Engro Corporation Limited||Jahangir Siddiqui & Co Ltd|
Following are the news which affected the trading activity at the most:
- Political chaos concealed the effect of budget FY-15. Political instability in the country covered the significance of the financial budget that further lead to shed 796 points of Karachi Stock Exchange 100 index on second day of the week. However market adopted the corrections and yet managed a strong comeback till the end of the same day.
- Benchmark index of the Karachi stock market remained fluctuating all week long. Though the shedding sentiments eclipsed the encouraging and market closed losing 0.8 per cent week on week.
- Foreign investors perceived the fluctuations and volatility as an opportunity to invest. Yet they remain in the category of net buyers throughout the week. They invested in the shares equal to the worth of USD 9.02 Million.
- Economic survey of the financial years 2013- 14 revealed that the major economic target could not be achieved by the policy implementers and the administration
- Prime minister of Pakistan Mian Nawaz Sharif has inaugurated the first phase of Nandipur power project costing Rs. 57.38 Bn.
- Government has decided to divest all of the UBL shares
- Renewed interest patterns helped many firms to gain abnormal returns including Engro